Our 10 Way Bean Blend is a mix of beans including kidney, mayacoba and black turtle along with some of our favorite heirloom varieties like appaloosa and Jacob's cattle.
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 45 min
Total time: 60 min
- 4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 3 Poblano Chiles, roasted, seeded, skin removed
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Red Onion, chopped
- 4 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Teaspoons Chili Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Mexican Oregano
- 1 Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
- 3 Cups Ten Way Bean Blend, cooked
- 3 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Fresh Lime, freshly juiced
- Chopped Fresh Cilantro, for garnish
- Kosher Sea Salt Flakes
- Ground Black Peppercorns Dustless
- After soaking beans in water overnight strain and cover generously with fresh water. Simmer for 60-90 minutes or until the beans are tender.
- Bring large pot of water to a boil with generous tablespoon of salt, then reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Place chicken breasts in water, and cook for 12 to 15 minutes, until done. Transfer to plate to cool. When cool, use two forks to shred into bite-sized pieces.
- Place poblano chiles in blender and purée until smooth. Set aside.
- While chicken is cooking, add olive oil to large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add red onions and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, then add Chili Powder, oregano and crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Add puréed roasted poblanos, drained cooked beans, reserved chicken and chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, until broth has thickened. Season with salt and ground black pepper as needed.
- Just before serving, add lime juice and adjust seasoning to taste. Garnish with chopped cilantro.